Day 1 Recap from the Pure Golf Championship

Categories: Pure Insurance Championship

For anyone that travels frequently from the East Coast to the West Coast, you will understand what our Day 1 was like. Our alarms went off at 2:00am EST. We were walking through Security at RDU Airport by 4:15am and boarding the plan at 5:00am.

After 10 hours of travel we landed in San Jose, California and were ready to get our luggage, pick up the rental car and travel 90 minutes southwest to Pebble Beach.

We arrived at Player Check In around 3:00pm Pacific Standard Time.

That’s when all the FUN began!

Mara’s Viewpoint: It was truly a long morning. By far the earliest I’ve ever gotten up, but well worth the early wakeup call! Having never left the East Coast time zone, I wasn’t quite sure how the time change would affect me. But, when we were sitting in the Las Vegas Airport eating from the lunch menu at 10:00am their time, and dinner wasn’t until 6:30pm, I knew there would be some adjustments ahead.

Once we landed in San Jose, the excitement hit me. We had made it.

Player Registration was really cool. They have this really nice room set up for us where we can eat breakfast and lunch, each day. It overlooks the player putting green so we can even watch the Champions Tour Pros practice during our breaks.

While at registration we picked up our uniforms for the week, made practice round tee times and snagged a chocolate ice cream bar!

After a quick visit to meet our private housing family, the Banks, I head to our player meeting and the Pairings Party. I got to meet a number of other Junior Participants from across the country as well as some of the Amateurs that will be playing with us this week.

To find out who our pro was, they had engraved their name on a bag tag that was tucked away in our golf bag.

My assigned pro is Jim Carter. I found out that he is originally from Spring Lake, NC, which is part of our local chapter. Mr. Carter wasn’t at the party last night but I’m looking forward to meeting him during practice.

Day 1 was exciting and exhausting at the same time. For Day 2, I’m looking forward to seeing the facilities, playing my first practice round and making may more new friends.

It’s off to bed for now. Thanks for following along!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *